What is Weatherization?
The Weatherization Assistance Program is the nation’s LARGEST residential energy efficiency program. The ECKAN Weatherization Program has been recognized as one of the best in the State of Kansas. The program is funded by federal Department of Energy (DOE) and Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) funds regulated by the Kansas Housing Resources Corporation.
Weatherization improves heating and cooling efficiency and energy savings by ensuring your home holds heat and air conditions while keeping hot and cold air out. At NO CHARGE to the client, income-eligible families receive a comprehensive home energy audit, which is an assessment of the entire home. Our certified energy auditor will search the entire home, inside and out, looking for inefficiencies and safety concerns using advanced equipment and techniques. The energy audit will identify a customized account of areas for cost-effective improvements. The improvements will be provided FREE OF CHARGE by our network of professional crews and contractors.
We assist elderly, handicapped and low-income families in the 16 yellow counties on the map below.
Who is Eligible?
Eligibility is based on household income relative to federal LOW-INCOME GUIDELINES. If your household has someone who receives one of these:
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) benefits
Utility assistance from the Low Income Energy Association Program (LIEAP)
the household is automatically considered eligible for weatherization services.
How to apply?
Before completing one of these applications, please review it first and gather all necessary documents. Call us first before entering any intormation at 785-242-6413 if you have any questions or concerns.
Print Application Complete and mail/deliver (ECKAN Weatherization, PO Box 40, Ottawa, KS 66067) with proof of income and proof of home ownership
Online Application Applications may be completed and electronically signed online. Follow these steps:
1. Fill out this application completely. If you rent, provide all landlord information.
2. Provide birth dates and social security numbers for all members of the household.
3. Provide utility providers, information AND account numbers.
4. Put your E-Signature in all required fields.
5. Once you have filled out the application completely, submit
Did You Know
• The Weatherization Program was created in 1976 and has served more than 7 million families nationally.
• Low-income families pay an average of 16.3% of their annual income for energy, compared with 3.5% for other households.
• Weatherization services save customers an average of $283 annually.
• For every $1 invested in the program, weatherization returns $4.10 to the household and society.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Weatherization office phone?
Toll free: 888-242-7450
My application was approved for help. How long before I hear from you and what they are going to do?
Once the inspection is completed the inspector must input all data collected on site into an energy software tool before a work scope can be developed based on safety, energy savings, cost and savings-to-investment ratios. You should hear from ECKAN or from your contractor within one month of your inspection.